top of page

Special Care Services at Home

The Special Services at Home program helps families who are caring for a child with a developmental or physical disability. It is funded and managed by the Ministry of Community and Social Services.


The program helps families pay for special services in or outside the family home as long as the child is not receiving support from a residential program. For example, the family can hire someone to:

  • help the child learn new skills and abilities, such as improving their communications skills and becoming more independent

  • provide respite support to the family - families can get money to pay for services that will give them a break, or respite, from the day-to-day care of their child.


The amount of funding a family receives depends on:

  • the type and amount of service the child needs

  • what other help is available in the community

  • what kind of support the family is already receiving.




Families can apply for this support if their children have a developmental or physical disability:

  • live in Ontario; and,

  • need more support than most families can provide


  • are living at home with their family, or

  • if they are not living at home with their family and are not being helped by other residential services





How to Apply


The program is funded and managed by the Ministry of Community and Social Services.

  1. Download and complete an application form.

  2. Attach a medical statement or psychological assessment to your application. It should describe the disability and explain why you need the services and how much it will cost.

  3. Mail the completed application form and the medical assessment to your nearest regional office.


More Information:

Contact the regional office nearest you.


Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services
119 King Street West
Hamilton, ON
L8P 4Y7
Tel: (905) 521-7280
Fax: (905) 546-8277
Toll Free: 1-866-221-2229
TTY: (905) 546-8276

bottom of page